Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Crazy for you...

I love words. They have the power to unleash such emotions. The meaning of the word plays a part but the structure and phonetics are what transform the mundane into the spectacular. Instead of 'just joking' you were just 'being facetious'.
So I thought I'd stretch the mental bandwidth and learn some new ones. All low frequency.

Here is a selection that I recently learned;

  • Lachrymose  - tearful, weepy
  • Zeitgeist - spirit of the times 
  • Modicum - A small amount 
  • Schadenfreude - pleasure from another's misfortune 
And a word that I already knew (#15year-oldme) but didn't know the definition;

Evanescence - lasting a short time.

And I think I will end with a quote. One of my all time favourites by a great writer, Salman Rushdie. Although he expresses his feelings about literature I think you could use his words to describe other expressive art forms just as accurately.

"The liveliness of literature lies in it's exceptionality, in being the individual, idiosyncratic vision of one human being, in which, to our delight and great surprise, we may find our own vision reflected"

Also a song, because recently I've been feeling a bit grey. It's Madonna, Queen everlasting. This song came to mind after listening to change of heart by the 1975. So here she is with 'crazy for you'.

No comments:

Post a Comment