Tuesday, 15 March 2016

No, I'll never, never breakaway from you...

I have a love of foreign words and phrases. The way language is structured interests me, particularly the things that don't translate. There are words and phrases for states, emotions and feelings which exist in the world because it was important to that culture.
Here are a few that I like...

La Douleur exquise - this is a tragic French phrase which means the heart wrenching pain of wanting someone you can't have. Specifically  the pain is of the unrequited party. 

Saudade - this one is Portuguese. It means a longing for someone that you love who is lost.


Another French one, a popular one, la petit mort. It means literally the little death. It is used to mean an orgasm, or more appropriately, the point of spiritual release. It is often linked to blacking out or the notion of a temporary death while your spirit exits your body. 


I heard a song on tv earlier that I haven't heard in ages. It's so upbeat it just makes you want to dance.  The lyrics are unhappy though if you listen. It's called Break-a-way by Irma Thomas. 


I think I will spend the rest of the evening writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment